Thursday, September 21, 2006

Sportsman's Rights Act?

Well here's another one the Texas state legislature slipped past us.

The Sportsman's Rights Act, according to today's Star-Telegram, makes it illegal "to intentionally interfere with another person lawfully engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife."

The article tells the story of one landowner fined for making too much noise for hunters to shoot deer on an adjacent property.

I've got mixed feelings about this issue. People have a right to hunt on their property. People have a right to play music or ride dirt bikes and ATV's on their property.

Which "right" is more important to uphold?

If I were the landowner fined for making noise that interfered with hunting, I would file a counter complaint about the noise of gunshots interfering with my lawful use of my own property and even causing me concern for my safety.

I believe both of the property owners are within their rights, but I don't like the way the law reads, because it tends to negate the rights of non-hunters in favor of the rights of those who want to hunt with noisy and potentially dangerous guns.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home