Saturday, September 30, 2006

The Next Texas Governor



Carol Strayhorn(I), Chris Bell(D), Rick Perry(R), Kinky Friedman(I). Who to vote for?

The pundits say Perry will win easily, Bell will lose completely, and Strayhorn and Friedman will make a good showing (but still lose).

I wouldn't be too quick to predict what Texas voters will do, but I'll bet that the two Independent candidates will have the (D)'s and (R)'s biting their nails until the final tally.

Rick Perry, in spite of his "pretty-boy" appearance, seems to have done an acceptable job as governer so far, even though he signed into law that new tobacco tax ($1 more per pack). He is, however, a career politician, and more and more people seem to be less and less satisfied with those whose career paths amount to one public office after another.

Chris Bell seems like a nice enough guy, but he is a Democrat. In Texas, that is not a good selling point....nor does it seem to be anywhere else, for that matter.

Carol Strayhorn said something on one of her radio ads that struck a chord with me. She said: "I'm 67 years old. My future is not in politics. My future is my grandchildren" I like that attitude. Her goal is not to use her public office to get elected over and over again.

Kinky Friedman is the candidate for all those people who are fed up with what politics and politicians have become. For them, he is a breath of fresh air. He also seems to be the most conservative candidate on the ballot.

I'll be watching the candidates' televised debate very closely on Channel 8 (WFAA) on October 6 at 6:30pm.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home