Sunday, September 10, 2006

Wrong runway

Recently, a Comair jet attempted a takeoff from the wrong runway at Lexington/Blue Grass airport with tragic results.

Click on the airport diagram to see a larger picture of the airport layout. Notice that when taxiing from the terminal to Runway 22, an aircraft has to cross the approach end of Runway 26. I would be willing to bet that many aircraft have inadvertently lined up on Runway 26, but either recognized the mistake or were corrected by the tower controller prior to takeoff.

It is my casual observation, over a long flying career, that ATC prevents many aircraft accidents by pointing out pilots' mistakes in time for corrective action to be taken. Unfortunately, this wasn't one of those times.

I have never made the mistake of taxiing onto the wrong runway (as far as you know), but I can imagine several scenarios in which I could have.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home